Monday, January 3, 2011

Handmades For The New Year

With the completion of all my Christmas handmade's I was able to spend some time in the week between Christmas and New Years working on some new projects. Above and below are some embroideries I finished. The owl is going to be worked into a pillow for my Little and the sewing bird is destined to become a project bag for me to take along on our trip to Arizona in March (more on that later).
The scarf/shawl above I knit in 2 days! It was such a fun, easy knit and the yarn (Araucania Natural Wool Chunky Multy - a birthday gift from my mom bought at a neat little yarn store in Buffalo, MN) was a dream to knit with. The pattern is called Saroyan (designed by Liz Abinante) which I found while searching Ravelry using the search words lace, leaf and scarf. I wanted something that spoke of the outdoors since the colors are very earthy and I specifically made it to wear with my Carhartt olive colored canvas vest. (I also love that the pattern was inspired by the designers favorite TV program Bones which I too LOVE).


Today, I tried my hand at needle felting and I think I made a fair attempt at it for the first go around. My Little loves birds and thought a robin (sorry for the poor picture) might be a nice first try. I have a cardinal now started on the foam block. Needle felting is something I have been meaning to try for a long time and with some Christmas money and some inspiration from the beautiful items on this blog I decided to give it a go - I am so glad I did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment