Monday, March 21, 2011

Vacation Reading

With 54+ hours spent in the car I was blessed with a lot of time to read. I intended to do a lot of embroidery and knitting but when I wasn't looking out the window (which I did most of the time) I felt like reading. I read three wonderful books!

The first was The Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. I loved it but then I love all her Elm Creek Quilt books. This particular book though was particularly wonderful as it told a story of a family who ran a station on the Underground Railroad and the role of a specially designed quilt. It was so well written and I couldn't put it down.

The second book was The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas. I couldn't have a picked a more perfect book to read as we drove through Kansas considering the book takes place during the Depression in the Flint Hills area - which we drove right through! It was a desolate area and I can't even imagine what it looked like during the Depression when a terrible drought ravaged the area. The story was a wonderful tale of the friendship of a group of women of all ages united by their love of quilting and each other. The strength of their friendships for each other was inspiring and how it left me feeling will be with me for a long while.

The final book I read was Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah. My mom had this book waiting for me when we got to Mesa and warned  me that I would need tissues - and she was right. This story of a mother and her daughters was the best book I have read in years - and that is saying a lot because I read a lot. I have always had a love of Russian history and this book gave me a look at a piece I have not studied (the siege of Leningrad during WWII). It also was an amazing story of the strength of family and love. I feel that I really can't do this book justice - all I can say is READ IT!

I now have my post-vacation books lined up.  I am currently reading A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick and am enjoying it. It is another tale of women drawn together by quilting. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment