Monday, May 24, 2010

Our Garden In May - Two Words - HOT and HUMID

Following a rare mild early spring we are now faced with a rare hot and humid late spring. Our digital thermometer read 104 today. The weather station says the day had a high of 94 - whichever it was, it doesn't matter - both are HOT and I don't do HOT. Yuck.... Oh well... the gardens seem to be liking it. Below is are spring garden of lettuce, onions, radishes, beats, peas and kohlrabi.
We even tasted some of the fruits of our labors and my youngest liked these "spicy" "apples". They did taste oh so good and oh so fresh!

Else where in the yard are tomatoes, eggplants, pumpkins, squash, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, potatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb plus my herbs. We are off to a good start! I think the only thing left to get in the ground are peppers and a few more tomatoes all of which are sitting in my kitchen window looking ready to make the move outside.

Above is are lone squash plant (I do have seeds planted too). I got 4 from my grandmother and this is the only one that made it and it has fought to live!


With all this planting I needed markers for the seeds we had put in. I have always struggled with marking things - I seem to be a free-spirit gardener - but this time I decided we needed markers. So, I took some recycled lids from cottage cheese and the like that I had saved, wrote the plant name, put in a couple holes, used a stick as the pole and tah-dah, a recycled plant marker.


No comments:

Post a Comment