Monday, March 25, 2013

Comfort Food

With all that is going on right now I decided some comfort food was needed. One of my childhood favorites is "Chicken Huntington". My mom usually made it after Thanksgiving when leftover turkey was in abundance. It was a HUGE favorite in our house. It is also one of my 20 year old nephew's favorite and my Mom regularly makes it when he visits. Tonight my Little was my sous chef andI loved making memories with him using a favorite from my childhood.

Chicken Huntington
(I regularly double it)

1 7-oz. box macaroni
1 1/2 c. cooked chicken, cut-up
1 T. flour
1 c. cream (I use milk)
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 lb. American cheese, grated
1/2 t. salt

Cook macaroni. Make a cream sauce with, flour, butter (about 2 T.), cream and chicken broth. In it, melt cheese. Stir in the cooked macaroni and salt. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.


I am a purist when it comes to a few of the ingredients. The first being the chicken stock...I never buy chicken stock. I always make my own. So, this weekend I prepared a chicken and then used the bones to make stock. So easy and so delicious. Another thing that has to be exact is the cheese. Living here in the "Land Of 10,000 Lakes" we have always used Land O' Lakes American Cheese. It melts beautifully and tastes like home. It isn't cheap but I have not found a substitute.



No comments:

Post a Comment